After completing 4 of the 5 days of WOMEN’s Hockey Competition in the league stage, only defending champions Netherlands (Pool A) have confirmed a place in the semi-finals, while other three spots are still up for grabs, and will be known only after the conclusion of the pool matches.
Both Great Britain and China (from Pool A) stand a chance of making it to the semi-final. Would it be China or Great Britain, will be known after the later completes their match against the defending champions Dutch, who have 4 wins of 4 matches in the competition till now. The silver medallists from Beijing, China will play must win match against Japan at 13:45 BST, while the hosts Great Britain will be up against Netherlands at 19:00 BST. In another match of Pool A, Korea will take on Belgium at 16:00 BST.
The Pool B situation is even more interesting. Top 4 teams (Argentina, New Zealand, Australia and Germany) from Pool B stand chance to be in Semi-Final, but finally it boils down to the results of first and last match of the day i.e. New Zealand Vs Germany at 08:30 BST and Argentina vs Australia at 21:00 BST respectively and the final goal differences. While the 2nd match (10:45 BST) of the day USA vs South Africa, will decide whether USA will play for 7th position or will have to play for 9th position.
Pool A Ifs and Buts
These are some of the possibilities, but not limited to, of China or Great Britain reaching the semi-finals of WOMEN’s Hockey competition of London Olympics:
- If China win against Japan, that is highly likely, and Netherlands beat Great Britain, then China will finish at 2nd place in Pool B, after the Dutch.
- If China beats Japan with more than 4 goals margin, and Netherlands and Great Britain ends up playing a draw, then China will go to the Semi-Final, while the hosts will play for 5th position.
- If Great Britain beat the defending Champions Netherlands or Japan hold or beat defending Silver Medallists China, then Great Britain will be in the semi-finals.
Pool B Ifs and Buts
These are some of the possibilities, but not limited to, for deciding 2 toppers of Pool B, who will play in semi-finals of WOMEN’s Hockey competition of London Olympics:
- If both the matches Argentina Vs Australia and New Zealand Vs Germany are drawn and Argentina and New Zealand win, then they will play in the semi-finals.
- The winner of Argentina and Australia match will be through to semi-final, but the loser can also go to semi-final on the basis of tie-breaker (i.e. goal difference, number of wins, goal conceded etc.) if and only if Germany beats New Zealand.
Schedule of Day 5 of WOMEN’s Hockey Competition at London 2012:
|06/08 08:30||NZL||– x –||GER|
|06/08 10:45||USA||– x –||RSA|
|06/08 13:45||JPN||– x –||CHN|
|06/08 16:00||KOR||– x –||BEL|
|06/08 19:00||GBR||– x –||NED|
|06/08 21:15||ARG||– x –||AUS|
Points Tables after 4 days of WOMEN’s Hockey Competition at London 2012:
|2 Great Britain||9||4||3||0||1||13||5||8|
|2 New Zealand||9||4||3||0||1||9||5||4|
|5 United States||3||4||1||0||3||4||6||-2|
|6 South Africa||0||4||0||0||4||2||14||-12|